Wednesday, June 11, 2008

OTR stars get animated.

As I've mentioned before, old-time radio has been a part of my life since before my age had two digits in it. Which means that by the age of 24 I had heard Phil Harris' voice as the bandleader on the Jack Benny program easily thousands of times. It was ingrained into my conscious and subconscious. Yet until less than a year ago it hadn't clicked that I had heard that voice elsewhere.

One day I was watching "The AristoCats" with some kids I babysit. I was in the kitchen, head turned away, and realized I was a hearing a familiar voice, but it was out of context. I closed my eyes and concentrated. Then it hit me. How had I never noticed it before?

Phil Harris is not only the voice of Thomas O'Malley the alley cat in the aforementioned cartoon, he is also the voice of Baloo in "Jungle Book" and Little John in "Robin Hood." All movies I have seen many-a-time in my life, and somehow it just never clicked. How had I missed it? I could understand if these weren't cartoons, I'm just now beginning to faces to all of the voices I'm oh-so-familiar with. But I hadn't recognized his voice. It confounded me, but I was intrigued. What other old-time radio stars had made cartoon appearances? Here's what I've found so far:

Jim Jordan, aka Fibber McGee, is the voice of the albatross, Orville, in "The Rescuers." (Another revelation that made me go "DUH!")

Ok, well that's really all I have for now. Do you have a name to add to the list?

2 comments:

Clif Martin said...

Good golly Miss Molly, it's great to have you back where you belong. I'm fascinated by those lots younger than I (that's just about everyobdy on the 'net) who love art forms and pop culture that I grew up with, but which had come and gone before they were born.

Lois E. Lane said...

I can totally hear that voice!! How funny.